Room: Harborview 2
Intended Audience: Managers, decision makers, practitioners, and professionals interested in a broad overview and introduction
Knowledge Level: All levels
“Big Data” is everywhere. The topic is impacting every industry and institution. Big excitement about big data comes from the intersection of dramatic increases in computing power and data storage with growing streams of data coming from almost every person and process on Earth. The pressing question is, how do we best make value of all this data – what should we do with it?
Working with big data effectively depends on understanding the sources of data and the issues in storing and analyzing it:
- Where does big data come from?
- How do you manage, store, and compute on big data?
- What qualifies as “big”?
This one day workshop reviews major big data success stories that have transformed businesses and created new markets.
Barash will cover these revealing stories in order to illustrate the key concepts, tools, and value-proven applications driving the big data revolution.
“Big data” is a open buzzword – it could be defined as any amount of data you can’t afford to handle – but the big, newfound value achieved by computing at scale is no fad.
What you will learn:
- Where does big data come from: Common sources of big data.
- What makes data big: Velocity, Variety, and Volume!
- How can we leverage it: Open tools and platforms for storing and analyzing big data.
- The new paradigm: Today’s shift from hypothesis testing to a broad exploration for correlations is a revolutionary change in the way data is explored.
- Best practices for analyzing big data: Key methods in data science, predictive analytics, and text analytics to analytically learn from data.
- Social Data: Finding key connections in webs of people and events.
- Applications of big data insights to business.
- Future directions in big data: bigger, bolder, and better.