Emetrics Summit: The Big Picture
See the 2008 show!
Web Analytics Association Training Day
Sunday, October 15, 2006
On the heels of its great success with the online courses given through the University of British Columbia, the WAA is bringing an overview of the Introduction to Web Analytics course to the physical classroom. Your instructors are people who have been doing web analytics for years, people who have been involved with the WAA from the beginning and people who have helped numerous clients understand the fundamentals of tracking clickthroughs, pageviews and revenues.
Today's organizations know the importance of the Internet for supporting sales and marketing, facilitating orders and supplies across the value chain, and reinforcing the corporate brand and market position. To achieve truly productive results online, business managers need a solid grounding about the strategies and tactics that support web analytics.
Attend this one day, 5-session workshop and be well positioned to get the most from the jam-packed Emetrics Summit that follows. Return to your workplace primed to put everything you’ll have learned into practice, immediately.
Attend the WAA Training Day and you could win one of two course scholarships for the WAA-UBC online Award of Achievement in Web Analytics, offered through the University of British Columbia. Valued at $595 CAD each course.
8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
8:45 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Session 1: Getting Started with Web Analytics
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
The ability to observe the actions and behaviors of web site visitors is one of the truly powerful aspects of web analytics. This introductory session will review the fundamentals of web analytics, including an exploration the various approaches, an examination of data collection issues, and a discussion on what you need to know to get started.
You’ll learn about:
- Key concepts and practices.
- Differences between data collection methods.
- Data collection pitfalls and the ongoing cookie debate.
- Developing and using metrics.
- Types and options of available tools.
Session 2: Ratcheting Up Website User Experience
10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Successful web sites require continuous review to maximize conversion rates. What specific actions should be taken to improve the user experience and increase web site traffic? Learn how to optimize your site’s content structure and usability, so that you can improve the quality of content on your site to increase conversion.
You’ll leave more confident about how to:
- Track, evaluate, and optimize your web site’s landing pages to improve visitor conversion.
- Diagnose shopping cart abandonment and increase completions.
- Leverage onsite search to better understand visitors and improve your site’s content.
- Use scenario analysis to understand what’s working and what’s not.
- Create simple tests to define and evaluate the value of web site changes.
- Measure the effectiveness of search engine optimization efforts.
Session 3: Optimizing Online Campaigns
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Once your site is optimized for usability and the visitor experience, it's time to bring in more traffic. With the diversity of online acquisition vehicles, it’s important to properly gauge the success of campaigns, and quickly identify what’s working and what’s not. Leave with new practical insights from a real life online optimization case study.
You’ll increase your knowledge about how to:
- Evaluate the impact of campaigns and achieve higher returns on investment for online marketing initiatives.
- Design and measure offline campaigns that drive traffic to web sites.
- Identify the critical metrics needed to assess and improve campaigns, including tracking the impact of online channels such as paid search (pay-per-click), email marketing, and display or banner ads.
Lunch: 12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Session 4: Selecting a Web Analytics Vendor
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
With a myriad of options of tools and vendors, where do you begin? Learn how W. L. Gore & Associates selected a web analytics tool and implemented web analytics. In this case study, see how one company structured the project, evaluated their organization’s needs, picked a data collection method, selected a vendor and implemented web analytics. Implementation included training personnel in web analytics and rolling it out across the company, with more than a few interesting learnings along the way.
You’ll gain insights into:
- Best practice vendor selection
- Lessons learned from the selection process
- Implementation challenges that may surface
- Issues that arose during the introduction and rollout of web analytics
Session 5: Selling, Staffing and Sustaining Web Analytics
3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Beyond the science of web analytics is the art of successfully using web analytics to drive ongoing valuable progress within organizations. All too often Web analytics is viewed as “done” when the tools are selected and the reports are configured. Not so! This is only the beginning, the start of a dynamic evolving journey.
You’ll learn the hows and whys about:
- Getting organizational buy-in for analytics, necessary in transitioning to data-driven decision making.
- The need to constantly evangelize and sell web analytics, and how to do it.
- Using key performance indicators to communicate understandable business metrics to diverse constituents within your organization.
- Managing web analytics growth within your organization and meeting the challenge of finding staff.
- Practical suggestions on finding the right mix necessary to sustain web analytics in your organization.